General instructions for post operative patients after eye surgery
- 01. Eye shield: Please use eye shield for protection when you sleep. You may use dark glasses during daytime. Please wash the eye shield and glasses with soap and water each day and dry the same before use.
- 02. Washing the face: Cleaning of the operated eye will be as per the instructions given by the doctor/ nurse. The rest of the face can be mopped with a clean and wet cloth. Avoid splashing water into the operated eye.
- 03. Shaving: Shaving is permitted. But avoid splashing water after shaving. Instead, clean with a wet cloth.
- 04. Bathing: You can bathe below neck from the first postoperative day itself. But avoid head bath for a period of 3-4 weeks.
- 05. Use of facial cosmetics: Avoid cosmetics to the eye such as mascara, eye liners etc for at least 4 weeks.
- 06. Physical activity: Activities such as walking, talking, TV viewing can be resumed immediately after surgery. However, Jogging, swimming, gardening, contact sports, etc may have to be avoided until 4-6 weeks after surgery.
- 07. Driving: Avoid driving till your surgeon gives you permission.
- 08. Joining back duties: Usually you will be allowed to join your duties by 4-6 weeks after surgery depending upon the surgery. You may have to check with your doctor regards to the exact date of joining duty.
- 09. You may resume your sexual life a week or two after the surgery.
- 10. The following symptoms may be expected after most surgeries: Some amount of redness, watering, foreign body sensation, and glare are common. The severity varies with the type of surgery. These symptoms will reduce with time and usually disappear by 4-6 weeks.
- 11. If you have any worsening of the symptoms and specifically if there is increasing redness, pain or decreased vision please report as emergency to the Sankara Nethralaya premises at 18, college Road, Nungambakkam.
Emergency Services are Available Round The Clock
- 12. Procedure for cleaning the eye:
The operated eye needs to be cleaned at least twice a day.
The attendant performing this task should wash the hands with soap and water and dry them with a clean towel.
You may use the disposable tissue supplied at the hospital for this purpose. Alternately you may place cotton in a clean vessel cover it with a lid for 10 minutes, let it cool down, take the cotton out, squeeze the excess water and use the same to clean.
Cleaning the lower lid is done by asking the patient to look up and wiping all the secretions sticking to the lower lid margin.
Cleaning the upper lid is done by asking the patient to look down and doing similar procedure.
Similarly the outer and inner corners of the eye are cleaned.
Once the margins and corners are cleaned, the eye drops can be instilled and then the surrounding areas can also be cleaned.
- 13. Instillation of the eye drops:
The attendant should wash his/ her hands with soap and water.
The cap of the eyedropper bottle is opened carefully without contaminating the tip of the nozzle.
Pull the lower lid and place the drop between the eyeball and the lid by squeezing the bottle or cap as the case may be.
Wipe away excess medicine that may trickle out.
The eyes should be kept closed for a period of 5 minutes after the drop is instilled.
- 14. Procedure for instilling eye ointment:
Washing hands as for instilling drops
Lower lid is pulled down
The tube containing the ointment is squeezed gently so that a small thread of the ointment falls in the space between the eyeball and the lid. This should be not more than half a centimeter.
By letting the eyelid close, the ointment thread will break.
- 15. General instructions for instilling medicines in the eye:
Always instill drops before ointment.
Leave a gap of 5 minutes between two medications.
Keep the eye closed for 5 minutes after applying the medication.
Once opened the eye drops are discarded after 10 days.
Replace the cap of the bottle immediately after use.
Make sure that the right drops are being used for the right number of times.
If similar medication is advised for both eyes, it is advisable to have separate bottles for the two eyes.
Unused eye medication, once opened is discarded and never used for other persons.
- 16. General instructions:
Do not rub the eyes
Do not lift heavy weights
Do not allow the eye to get injured- the eye shield is meant to protect the eye from physical hurt.
Avoid too many visitors for fear of contacting infection- especially avoids visitors with conjunctivitis, cold etc.
Do not play with children since there is possibility of getting hurt in the eye.
Do not strain at toilet. If needed please take laxative.
Avoid use of snuff.
Cigarette smoking should be avoided.
Alcoholic beverages are best avoided.